My Career So Far…
For those that care about my technology career so far, here’s a run-down of my major accomplishments, roles and responsibilities.
- Experience with many senior level business objectives including patent filing, trademarking, government grants (SR&ED, OIDMTC and IRAP), investment capital, national account sales and strategic partnerships.
- Leader of the software engineering and infrastructure teams for all projects and products.
- Past experience with detailed project management for enterprise web-software clients in a wide range of non-web industries.
- Member of the three person executive leadership team.
AUTHOR & TECHNICAL REVIEWER (2006 to 2007)
Apress Inc. “Books for Professionals by Professionals”
- Co-author and project manager of Beginning Google Maps Applications with PHP and AJAX (August 2006)
- Co-author for Beginning Google Maps Applications with Rails and AJAX (February 2007)
- Technical Reviewer for AdvancED DOM Scripting by Jeffrey Sambells (July 2007)
- Involved with sales, promotion and reader support of the above books as well as their non-English translations in other countries.
CLIENT SOFTWARE DEVELOPER (1999)
MediaLinx Interactive L.P. / Sympatico.ca
- Designed and implemented sports, news, financial and lottery sections of the Sympatico Wireless service using Perl/DB, WAP and HDML.
- Assisted in the initial development of the Sympatico.ca Wireless service as a whole prior to public launch on Bell Canada wireless devices in 1999.
NEW MEDIA DEVELOPER (1998 to 1999)
Digital Renaissance Inc. / ExtendMedia Inc. (extend.com)
- As a member of the internal Digital Communications team, designed, implemented and maintained the corporate and software support web sites. Clientele included Alliance-Atlantis entertainment.
WEB DESIGNER & PUBLISHER (1996 to 1997)
Town of Milton Corporate Web Site (www.town.milton.on.ca)
- Established the very first corporate website for the town under the direct supervision of the Mayor’s office and the economic business development manger.
- Beginning Google Maps Applications with PHP and AJAX
(ISBN: 1590597079, Published August 14, 2006 by Apress)
- Beginning Google Maps Applications with Rails and AJAX
(ISBN: 1590597877, Published February 27, 2007 by Apress)
- Method and System for Retrieval Time Ranking of Community Content
(Pending US Patent, Application No. 12/474,359, Publication No. US 2010/0306190 A1)
- Method and System for Discovery of Local Activities Based on Autonomous Suggestion
(Pending US Patent, Application No. 12/699,394, Publication No. US 2011/0191697)
- Method and System for Generating Compound Suggestions Using Entity Eligibility Models
(Pending US Patent, Application No. 13/004,504, Publication No. US 2012/0179671)
B.Math Honours, Computer Science Co-op
University of Waterloo, Faculty of Mathematics
- Key courses & disciplines: Object-oriented design, distributed computing, computer networks, user interface design, relational databases, search and sort algorithms, applied cryptography, group theory, applied statistics, public speaking and fine arts.
- Current President of the Kitchener Waterloo Aquarium Society.
- Past Co-Champion of Communitech‘s “Professional Web Development” Peer2Peer group.
- Long time member of the Board of Directors for the Kitchener Waterloo Aquarium Society.
- Flexible and adaptable. Able to learn, understand and extend applications and ideas quickly and easily.
- Able to transfer knowledge from existing experience to new technologies and domains.
- Excellent problem-solving and creative-thinking skills.
- Strong public-relations and public-speaking skills.
- Natural leader with a unique, innovative style and approach to team work.
- Ecological conservation and environmental stewardship initiatives in my family’s daily life.
- Domestic culturing or marine fish, corals and organisms to reduce the demand of the aquarium hobby on wild populations.
- Artistic endeavors such as canvas painting, photography, wood working and, yes, even scrapbooking-by-proxy.
- Science fiction in all its forms, but especially novels and short stories.
- Science fact in all its forms, but especially as related to climate change, environmentalism, private space exploration and skepticism.